Hi! I’m Michelle, a wife to my wonderful husband and a stay-at-home mom to 4 children. We live in China working with a non-profit organization. Our oldest and youngest children were born here in Chinese hospitals, and our middle two children were born in Ethiopia and adopted in 2010. I joined Stacey here at Getting Through the Day in November. I enjoy sharing about adoption, life in China, organizing, cooking, and more. I love to keep our kids’ things organized and use a lot of vertical storage in our 7th floor apartment. Some things about life here are different than in the States, such as buying groceries, but for the most part I’m just your typical mom aiming to find joy in the mundane as I get through the day!
What do people say about our family? Here are the top ten things I hear in China about our unique family.
- Are they twins?
- Are they quadruplets?
- How many house helpers do you employ?
- Oh my, you are so overworked!
- I don’t believe you. They are not all yours!
- Oh, they must have different dads.
- Wow, you are so amazing to have given birth to them all so close together!
- Shh… Don’t talk about them being adopted now. They might hear you!
- Auntie, why don’t you ever give them a bath?
- Their skin is so black. To which my sweet daughter responds, “My skin is not black; it’s the color of coffee.”